Monday, March 17, 2014

IUI Day

So today I had my first (& hopefully only) IUI (inner uterine insemination) performed. Setting up the appointments were probably the most stressful part. I had a positive OPK (ovulation predictor kit) test yesterday morning. IUIs are usually performed the next day. So this morning at 9am I jumped on the phone with Utah Fertility Center to make an appointment to get Jon's boys washed (they remove the excess fluid, get a count, separate the strongest swimmer and place them in a catheter) and then I called the Valley OB to schedule the actual procedure. They were both extremely accommodating (even scheduling my procedure during Valley OB's lunch hour because the fertility center only had one opening in the morning). IUIs are on a very specific and tight time table, so getting everything scheduled is half the battle! After everything was scheduled, Jon left to take of his business and I stayed home with the bubs. When he was done, we played a little tag team and I took off as soon as he got home. I picked up his boys and  headed to Valley. Dr. Melendez was the doctor on call and performed the procedure. Because I have a somewhat stubborn cervix, he had to use an additional tool called a tenaculum to stabilize it. To me, everything went fine and wasn't painful. After I laid for about 15 minutes, I got up to go home and started to bleed like crazy, with about 3 or 4 blood clots. After I cleaned up, I went to find the doctor or nurse. I found the nurse who said the doctor was back at the hospital but she had noticed that my cervix was extremely sensitive and had bled a lot when the tenaculum was used and she had seen quite a bit of blood when the speculum was removed. She said it was all cervix bleeding and it should not affect the results. I am trying to remain positive but that much blood and trauma, it's hard. 
The "boys" in the tube :) 
Holy moly my poor body was pretty pissed at me. I had a quite a bit of bleeding and cramping today. And being a mom doesn't stop. Every time I tried to lay down, somebody thought that was code for body slam time! 
The day ended with a big bowl of chocolate ice cream because this lady needed it. Here's to happy baby thoughts and many fingers crossed! :) 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope it works out Alyssa!