Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I Really Hate KARMA!

Wow, it's been the evening from HELL! Yup that bad. However it's also been a lesson in humility & compassion. Well here is the story.....For those of you who don't know I work at an insurance agency. We do everything from auto, home, ATV's, boat insurance to life and health insurance as well. Working in that line of business you become very detailed oriented and tend to over read everything. So after almost two and half years working there I had determined everyone should read all items that come to them in the mail on the insurance policies. Anyone who doesn't is going to be sorely disappointed one day. For example, I always have people call about getting a rental car after an accident and have to inform them it's not listed on their policy. And as they scream and yell, I am rudely thinking you have received renewal declaration pages and it hasn't been there for 3 years. (now you can see why I got a lesson in humility and pride, huh? I was a big time brat about this subject, yup a miss know-it-all). About a month ago I went to the doctor and had some labs done upon my request (I promise I'm totally fine, just wanted to check on a couple of things). Really didn't think anything else of it after I got my labs and everything came back fine until tonight...the night from HELL. I was opening mail and found an envelope from IHC Labs. I opened it up and it said I owed over $400. I went straight into panic mode, grabbed my cell phone, insurance card and started dialing. Was informed by a well meaning lady at my insurance company that the labs I had done were specifically excluded under my employer handbook. And then it hit me like a load of bricks, I never read that dang thing. Needless to say I started bawling and hung up the phone. So now I am stuck with a $400 bill and way bruised ego. I guess the jist of my blog is this lady got a huge lesson in humility and compassion tonight. We all lead busy lives and we are well intentioned on reading every piece of mail/policy that comes through our door but sometimes shiz just happens. Now more than ever I understand that. I'm so sorry for every time I had a rude thought about someone that forgot to read their policy and hate that I had to become one of those people to feel compassion for them. I hope to do better :) Because really that's all I can do.

5 comments:

Shauna said...

OH WOW!! Biggest bummer for you.. sorry sis...Maybe the Doctor's office will write some of it off???

Skoot D said...

Been there...done that!!! But seriously...who wants to read ALL that legal jargine!!!! & the "manuals" are always about an inch thick (when it comes to health insurance)!!!

MY...LY!!!!!!

Becca said...

lol. Bummer!!

Janelle said...

Sad. I hate waiting for the bills that you have no idea how much they will be. You could see if there is another code to run it under or see if they will give you a discount for paying cash since your insurance doesn't cover it. They probably would have gotten cents on the dollar for it anyways. I get $800 lab bills and the insurance says the max they can charge is less than $100. it's crazy! good luck!

Us said...

Lyss,I'm so sorry! Let me know if I can do anything. Hope all is well! Loves!