Saturday, November 11, 2017

Weston's Birth Story

Our sweet little surprise is here! Weston Oliver Conley was born November 11th, 2017 at 7:05pm, weighing 7 lbs 15 ounces (that's right after he peed on me, so he might have been an even 8 lbs before that ;)) and 21 inches long. Here is a little bit of his delivery story. We were scheduled to come in first thing on Saturday 11/11 (my doctor was awesome enough to let me schedule an induction on Saturday which they usually don't do but my two favorite doctors, him being one of them, weren't available for induction scheduling until I was almost 40 weeks and 40 weeks plus). However when I called the day before I was told to call at 6am the next morning to get my check in time. That didn't make for a great night of sleep because I was afraid I wouldn't wake up (not that much sleep happens the last trimester but that's the time of day my body usually gives up and sleeps) but let's be honest I'm a million years pregnant and not sleeping great anyways! So the next morning I got up, called at 6am and they said call in 2 hours....tried to go back to sleep, no go. Called the hospital again at 8am and was told the charge nurse was unavailable and was asked to call again in two more hours...ugh. At this point I was just a little bugged, I just wanted to know a time so I could let my in laws know because they were watching Jax and Bens and I had other family that wanted to come to the hospital and I wanted to plan my day.....man I don't know if I could do spontaneous labor.....hahahaha! Called back at 10am and was told to call back at noon and they would hopefully have a check in time then. Called back at noon and they finally said I could come in at 1:30pm. This was only because the charge nurse is amazing and was squeezing me even though they were insanely busy (When I got there she said she felt so bad because they had me keep calling back over and over again. She said they had a few emergency pushing everything into a good amount of chaos on the maternity floor). We got in go mode, called Jon's parents to come and watch Jax and Benson, text family induction was go and as soon as Jon's parents got to the house we headed over to the hospital getting there in the knick of time for check in. Check in downstairs took a while because our insurance record was mixed up (that hospital billing and administration ALWAYS struggles!) but I finally got upstairs and checked into our room (which unfortunately ended up being right next to the nurses station and entrance/exit for the maternity ward and a couple doors down from the complimentary room....Just made for a triangle of loud! Ha!). As we were getting settled in my delivery nurse asked about my birthing preference and if I was having a natural delivery which I nicely said.....HECK no! Give me all the drugs and the good ones since they stopped working last time. I met with the anesthesiologist who said he would monitor me pretty carefully because of my last experience with my epidural wearing off. He said if the epidural wasn't effective during the last stretch of the labor again, than there would be other things he would be able to give to me. Next my awesome doctor, Dr. Bean, came in and broke my water and wished me luck on my laboring. After that I received my epidural and was super happy about that and felt GREAT. By this time it was about 2:30-3:00pm and the waiting game was played with my mom and sister Brooke. I had sent Jon home around 4:00pm to check in on the kids to make sure all was well at home. Around 6:30 pm, I began to have the same unbearable pressure and then sudden pain (causing me to almost black out) that I had with Benson during his delivery. My sister, Brooke called Jon and told him I was having the same crazy pressure and pain I had with Benson and the baby was coming soon even though the nurse checked me a few minutes before and I was barely a 6. He said he was already on his way and his parents and the kids were shortly behind him. I went from a 6 to a 10 in 15 minutes again (with tears flowing and a good amount of screaming) and was pushing by 6:50pm (where I constantly yelled "get him out! get him out! get him out now!" over and over and over again). Unfortunately from the time the pressure and pain started to increase to being stitched up....I felt IT ALL! The epidural failed for a second time, which shocked my doctor and anesthesiologist. (After my delivery and conferred and determined that it's more than likely that my body is metabolizing the epidural too quick when my body rapidly progresses at the end of labor and have recommended I have a spinal if I have another baby. They said the spinal doesn't last as long but is much stronger and more effective in cases like mine. They also said I would have to be able to get the 6 on my own......so basically it's choose the lesser of two evils ;) I'm thinking no more babies sound good after today's labor but we will see!) The anesthesiologist kept increasing my medications and giving me different types of medications but nothing seemed to really take the edge off (my poor baby was probably so stoned!). In the end it was beyond painful, they had to constantly remind me to breath because I kept almost passing out. I'm pretty sure I told everyone to shut up more than a few times.....whoops!!! Ladies in pain say some crazy stuff!  But when you haven't prepared for natural child birth and are on pictocin to increase laboring, I'm not sure how sweet and lovely you can be during child birth. Ha! Thankfully everyone in the room was supportive and wore their thick skin! 
But at the end of the horror show of labor, they laid the sweetest, most lovely little baby on my chest....ooey, gooey and all. There is truly nothing like a sweet babes straight from heaven. The emotion, the spirit, the peace, the love, the divinity, the EVERYTHING that fills the room is like nothing else. A part of me wants to have a million babies to keep feeling that feeling. I truly believe every birth is attended by heavenly family and the feeling is so overwhelmingly amazing! Its the most beautiful heart and soul consuming moment that I have been privileged to experience and I have been able to experience it three times now. 
One of the sweetest moments after Weston's birth was his brother's coming in the meet him. Jaxson and Benson were so excited. They slowly made their way over to the bed, peering over to see him. When Jon lifted Benson on the bed, he was beyond excited and Jaxson was just so sweet when he saw his littlest brother. I loved seeing my boys and family of 5 all together. Makes my momma heart BURST! I'm so excited to see the little relationships they will develop and I pray they have each other's backs forever! 
Always such a special moment when grandparents hold grand babies.......
Brothers exchanging little presents in celebration of baby brother's birth.....
More family time......
Someone getting their first bath.......
Hospital time and visitors......
Sweet babes......
Time with all my boys.......
Getting ready to go home......
Oh my gosh I have three kids!!! Three boys!!!...
*Side note....Yes we left the hospital with an unnamed little man! Ha, never done that before! I was pretty sure his name was going to be Weston but we kept going between Weston and Oliver. Jon didn't want his name shortened to Wes and I really liked both names. So we finally agreed to name him Weston Oliver (Oliver is both a family name on his Jon's side and the name Jax wanted to use for him) and call him West for short.....which I love.

*One more side note.....How grateful I am the ability to carry and birth children. I fully recognize what a privilege it is and how blessed I am to be able to do so. I remember during our two and half year struggle to conceive Benson, wondering if I would ever carry and birth another child (we were even starting to look into adoption). During my questioning I realized what a miracle conception, pregnancy and child birth were.....truly such a MIRACLE! Although none of it is easy, holding our sweet West was such a confirmation of my blessings. Now let's pray I survive my three little blessings!  

No comments: