Monday, February 8, 2016

Survived It!

This past week about killed me off. It included a cold and knee gout for Jon. A thrush infection for me and Benson. A throat virus for me (where I could barely swallow my spit). And colds for both boys. And then there was Jaxson's preschool parent teacher conference. Earlier this week I was talking to my sister about PT conference for Jax/ I was both excited about seeing his progress and dreading any bad feedback. Today was the day! While I knew it was a review of Jaxson's progress I couldn't help but feel like I was sitting down at my job assessment. I'm a stay at home momma after all. First, Jax's teacher praised who Jaxson was as an individual....his happy attitude, eagerness to be there and learn, his sweet manners and his sweet, albeit energetic, disposition. She also highlighted his strengths.....colors, shapes, following the rules, communicating with her. Finally she reviewed the weak spots in progress.....letter identification (as well as phonetic sounds), listening and following stacked directions, occassionally wandering off into his own world, lack of sharing, struggling motor skills (scissors and holding the pencil and crayons properly withough correction). She also expressed her concern with him moving forward into his second year of preschool next year. Wanting him to repeat his first year of preschool and then enroll him in their private kindergarten program for further help with his struggles. Needless to say, I was very very very defeated. I know Jax has his quirks but I figured all kids did and things would even out with time. As a mom, I feel like I could already see small improvements as he's gotten older. The teacher did not share my sentiment. As of now, we are considering pulling him out this year and taking him to another school (Jon has requested I give it a little more time at Learning Dynamics and move him next year). I'm going to start touring other preschools and see if we can find another school that might be a better fit. I know Jax has his struggles in a traditional learning environment so I'm hoping I can find something that helps him thrive. I just don't want his little spirit squished this year. I will definitely be keeping on an eye on how things are going with this teacher. At the end of the day, I survived this week. I have two awesome kiddos and could not love them more or be more proud of them!!! 

No comments: