Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Benson's Birth

Our little guy is finally here!!!! And we are so in love!!! :) Here is the story of little mister's arrival. On Tuesday, November 24th, at 7:00am we (Jon, Jax and I) checked in to Mountain Point Medical Center in Lehi, Utah. After checking in downstairs we headed up to labor and delivery and met our delivery nurse, Paula (who we absolutely loved!). I changed, got hooked up to my IV and belly monitor. At that point I sent Jon and Jax home so bubs could get ready for preschool.
 
After they were on their way, I decided to get my epidural. This delivery I decided to get my epidural right away. I had no desire to see how tough I was, like I did with Jaxson's delivery. So the anesthesiologist came in and fiddled around on my back a little and started me on a starter dose, hooking up my pump for later. After that my nurse, Paula, hooked up my pictocin and Dr. Jones (one of the other docs from Valley) came in and broke my water since Dr. Ollerton was at the American Fork hospital for another delivery. This all happened before 10am. Soon after my peeps started to show up. My mom and my sister, Shauna were the first. Then my other sister, Jen, and Jon and Jax came from preschool pick up and my sister, Brooke showed up after them. 
Around 1:15pm, Paula came to check on me and I was dialated to a 6, which I was a little surprised I wasn't progressing quicker. Brooke suggested alternating sides to see if would help speed it up. I moved onto my other side and within a little more than 10 minutes of my last check I was in crazy pain. My family decided to go and get the nurse because the pain kept escalating and no matter how many times I pushed my epidural pump button the pain was crazy. After they checked me, they starting prepping for delivery because I was 10 and ready to push. Unfortunately going from a 6 to 10 so quickly caused my epidural to essentially stop working. So when Dr. Ollerton told me to start pushing I felt like I was going to split in half. The pain was like nothing I had ever experienced before. After two sets of contractions, pushing two and three times each time, I was DONE! I kept thinking and saying I didn't want to do it anymore. Seriously SOOOOOOOO painful!!!! I remember right before my last push, not having anymore strength and energy left in me. And then in already very full room of people, I felt like my back was lifted from the bed and with a group of heavenly help, I was able to push our sweet boy out.
 
Receiving that heavenly help was truly amazing and the gratitude I experienced in that moment is something I will never forget. After the baby was out, my body felt like it was going to go into shock. They kept trying to give the baby to me, and I couldn't get my arms to move to hold him or get my eyes to open all the way. It was crazy, bizarre and almost out of body experience.
After they took him away to clean, weight and measure him I was able to somewhat recover and finally able to hold my sweet boy. He was born at 7 pounds 12 ounces and 20 inches long with lots of blonde hair (maybe a little strawberry blonde, which we had a good laugh about because of Jon's redhead phobia).
 
 
 
 
 
 
Then it was time to meet brother.....
 
 
 
Opening his present from baby brother......
And his aunties and MaDeb.....
 
 
After the little guy was passed around among his peeps a little bit, he made his way back to me & he started to nurse. During the nursing session, Jon and I started talking about names. We had already decided a couple of months ago what his middle would be......Timothy. This name is very special and close to our hearts as he is named after my brother who passed away suddenly in August of 2014. Tim was always an amazing brother to me, husband to my sister, father to my nieces and nephews, uncle to Jax and friend to all. I love that our babes has such a strong and amazing name sake. And I really love that Jon felt as strongly as I did in naming him after Tim. So with the middle name decided, we discussed baby's first name. The front runners going into the hospital were Finnegan (Finn) and Benson (Bens). We had both told my mom separately what we thought his name would be about a month ago and let her be our secret keeper. So in the hospital we asked her if we both picked the same name and she said yes. We then knew the baby's name was Benson Timothy Conley and we couldn't love him more! :) 

No comments: