Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Tiny Moment - What My Great Grandma Grace Knew

My great Grandma Grace is a very talented lady with an amazing heart, and an abundant and generous nature. She was my baby sitter for many years and we spent countless hours and days together. I remember I used to love going to her house and playing with her old school toys, most of which would be antiques even when I was a child. Being the kind of lady she was, she crocheted blankets for all of her great granddaughters. When I received mine, I didn't love it. My bratty little child self compared it to the blankets all of the other girls received. Their blankets were colored coordinated with sweet, soft colors. Mine on the other hand, was bold, mismatched and to me at the time....just a little too crazy! Upon moving to Utah when I was 18, I packed the blanket away with a few of my other childhood treasures and stored it at my Mom's home in Oregon. Just this past month, my Mom brought it to Utah on one of her trips. When I received it again for the second time, I was able to look at it with a new perspective. I was able to see what my great Grandma Grace saw in me. She saw in me what was so hard for me to see in myself, my uniqueness, the face that I DANCED to the beat on a different drum even from a very young age. And the blanket she made was a perfect reflection of that. As I looked over the blanket for the second time, I was filled with an immense sense of gratitude for my wonderful Grandma Grace. For the fact that she saw ME, even when I couldn't. What a special ability she had and what a blessing she has always been in my life. She is nearing her 100th birthday and I am so grateful I have been blessed with a specific reason/item to reflect on the profound impact she has had on my life and how much she means to me.

1 comment:

MaDeb or Deb said...

I love your crazy afghan! So glad it was still as beautiful as ever and brought such great memories to you! She is an amazing lady and brought so much joy and happiness to her posterity!! I'm looking forward to her 100 B-DAY party!! Love you!~