Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sometimes I Need to Remember to Get Over Myself

I truly believe that people are generally good and well intended. Their words and actions are meant to encourage and not belittle or hurt. In that way I am an optimist. So when someone says something to me regarding our infertility circumstances, that in my mind feels offensive, I always try to remember people are good and well intended. And then I always have to remember to get over myself! :) Whether people tell me I should be grateful for the child I have or be grateful that I am not pregnant because I have my hands full with my all boy-boy. Or it would be tragic if you didn't already have a child. Or what's wrong with you that you can't make and have a baby. Or what are you going to do when you don't get pregnant. Or I bet adoption will be great for you guys. Or if you stop trying it will happen. Or you need to chill out. Or is it your fault or Jon's. Or how long are you going to try before you give up. Or do you hate being around babies and pregnant women now. Or are you worried about Jax being an only child. And so many more comments or questions I've heard. Though I'm sure all the comments and questions are meant to be encouraging, some have carried a certain amount of sting for me. That is where my post title comes in. I have had to learn to get over myself. I can not pick and choose how people help me or the compassion they lend. They are acting from their own perception and experiences and I can't fault them for that. Because above all, I have to learn to appreciate people's concerns no matter how they lend it and have faith that people are generally good and well intended. :)

No comments: