Friday, March 1, 2013

The Decisions We Make

Not to long ago Jon was offered a position with a company his friend, Joey, works for. We had always heard positive things from Joey and initially thought it was a great offer. It definitely had its upsides (better salary, potential for growth, financially & career wise, a new adventure for our family) and its downside (moving to Ohio for at least two years, the unknown of a smaller company, expensive healthcare, being far away from family, figuring out what to do with our new home). While we pondered the decision, we went back and forth so much. Weighing our pros and cons and saying a lot of prayers. We considered the fact that we have been blessed with many things with Verizon and how hard it would be to give up those benefits. We have also just gotten settled in our new home. We prayed and prayed, both individually and as a family. Without a definitive answer we decided to move forward with the offer and see if any clarity came with that. Because of the start of the job was a few months off, it gave us time to research Ohio and the journey ahead. While I got myself excited for the move, something kept nagging me and I couldn't put my finger on it. I was unsure if it was my insecurity with change or something more. As time went on, the nagging in my mind continued but I chose to keep it to myself because I knew this was such a great opportunity for Jon. I wanted to be supportive to whatever he decided because ultimately he is financially supporting our family and I figured I can find joy where ever my little family is. So the week Jon was supposed to give his two week notice at Verizon, Jon shared with me that he was also having doubts. My sister encouraged us to attend the temple and graciously watched Jaxson. During the session and after, sitting in the Celestial Room for a few minutes, we both received the impression that the move to Ohio was not for our family at this time and neither was the job offer. There was no other clarification of why, just that impression. With our answer received, Jon contacted the company's CEO and informed him our changed decision. He felt so horrible and expressed his apologies repeatedly. Now why I am posting this story today.....well today would have been Jon's "first day" of work in Ohio. So weird! We will probably never know the reason we were prompted to stay but today we both looked at each other and knew it was the right decision.
A girl from here......
marries a boy from here.......
 
and end up starting a family here......
but get a job offer here......


No comments: