Monday, November 5, 2012

Breastfeeeding...My Blessing & Curse! (not for shy eyes, haha)

When I was pregnant with Jaxson I knew I wanted to breastfeed as long as I could up to year. I am not going to lie I was very concerned how this was going to affect my boobs and getting off the last of my baby weight (a lot of people I know had a hard time getting off their last 5 pounds of baby weight). Despite my reservations I decided the boobs could be fixed post-babies and the baby weight would eventually come off. My primary reasons for breastfeeding, Jaxson's health and avoiding the cost of formula, were great reasons so I made the mental commitment. After Jax was born I felt very blessed that he set up shop on my boobs about 10 minutes after he came and decided to stay there for a while. Despite his late night "head bobbing-can't find the boob" action when he was a newbie, he was a pretty good nurser. Sure he went through the pretty typical "I hate your boobs, no I will not eat" stage, the "I'm way too busy to eat" stage, as well as a few others which usually left us both in tears but we did it, we made it the year (see below for the sad part). At the year point, I noticed a few very "interesting" things. First, my boobs had shrunk about a size (lower than pre-baby). Which honestly I was not all that sad about. I was a well endowed lady before I had Jax and was always hoping to go down a cup size or two (yes people with little boobs want to punch me but I want to punch them....I would kill for little, perky boobs....just sayin'). Now the cup size decrease  by itself, awesome! But that's not the only change the "ladies" experienced......they turned into "ski slopes". If you don't know what that means I will spare you :). Let's just say they now have to be placed in my bra....lovely huh? The other thing I noticed post breastfeeding was what an amazing diet it was for me. If I remember right I gained about 25 or 30 pounds when I was pregnant (a lot of elliptical and walking) and within 2 or 3 months it was gone and all because of breastfeeding. I was lower than my pre-pregnancy weight by 5 months and was pretty amazed by it. But as I have started to wean and limit the number of feedings, I've started to put on weight! I had been so used to eating a lot of food to keep up with breastfeeding that I never pulled back and now I am packing on the pounds.....freakedy-frat! So now I am back to working out and attempting to get my eating in check and it sucks. So there you go, breastfeeding....my blessing and my curse!

So back to the we made it a year breast feeding! The day after his first birthday, we gave him cow's milk only to discover he was allergic, he broke out in hives around his mouth after only a few sips). We visited his pediatrician later that week who advise us to try soy or almond milk and find healthy fats to supplement him with. Armed with the new information we filled up his straw cup with soy milk and gave it a shot....this ended with him chucking his cup repeatedly and drinking not one drop....awesome! So Jax is back to breastfeeding twice a day (and no this is not helping with my recent pound packing on my butt, thighs, belly and arms) and we are just trying to figure it all out! 

No comments: